Research Permits

National Park Service units and other protected areas provide unique opportunities for scientific research because these areas are preserved and protected, and can be studied as reference points for comparisons with similar, altered environments. Research contributes to the understanding of the Crown of the Continent's natural and cultural resources and is used for planning, management, and sharing with partners and the public.

Researchers may apply for an NPS Research and Collecting Permit to conduct studies in Glacier National Park, Grant-Khors Ranch National Historic Site, or Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument. Permitted researchers study a variety of biological and social research topics. All are required to submit an annual report of their study progress and results. These Investigators’ Annual Reports are then entered into the National Park Service’s Integrated Resource Management Applications (IRMA) Portal, a searchable database that is available for public use.

Additional information for conducting research and permit requirements is available by park unit: