Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument
On June 25-26 in 1876, twelve companies of the United States Army’s 7th Cavalry and members of the Lakota Sioux, Northern Cheyenne, and Arapaho tribes fought on the grounds of what is now known as Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument. The monument lies within the Crow Indian Reservation in south-central Montana and encompasses 765 acres.
Within a few years following the battle, a national cemetery, administered by the war department, was established on the Little Bighorn Battlefield. The National Park Service took over management of the property in 1940. After a series of name changes dating back to 1886, Congress authorized the change to the current designation as the Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument in 1991.
The primary purpose of the Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument is to preserve and protect the historic and natural resources connected with the Battle of the Little Bighorn. Additionally, park personnel provide visitors with a more thorough understanding of the events leading up to the battle, the battle itself, and the various effects the battle had on the cultures involved.