Grant-Kohrs Ranch National Historic Site
The Grant-Kohrs Ranch was established by John Grant in 1862 and operated by Conrad Kohrs from 1866-1920. In August 1972, Congress authorized the establishment of Grant-Kohrs Ranch National Historic Site “to provide an understanding of the frontier cattle era of the Nation’s history, to preserve the Grant-Kohrs Ranch, and to interpret the nationally-significant values thereof for the benefit and inspiration of the present and future generations.” As part of the site’s interpretive mission, visitors are exposed to different time periods through a living history of the ranch’s structures, artifacts, and documents.
The original ranch is a prime example of cattle ranching on the open range in the American West during the 18th and 19th centuries. During the late 19th century, the ranch consisted of over 27,000 acres and procured grazing rights on over ten million acres of public land. Currently, Grant-Kohrs Ranch encompasses roughly 1,618 acres. It is managed as a working ranch and continues to conduct ranching activities involving livestock grazing, hay production, irrigation, and noxious weed control.